Friday, August 15, 2008

homiest home or home?

it was almost like coming home but not quite. It's not home where my family lives or the one where my childhood was spent; nor the streets that I grew up in and got lost in; nor the numerous friends who've become family over the years but rather, a different home. It's no longer a strange town or country and while the current empty status of my room (because none of my stuff- by which i mean useless junk that fill up my room- is here) it's still my very own home of sorts and coming back was no longer an issue or something I was sad about. Sure I'm gonna miss home but for the first time, this little voice at the back of my head reminded me that this is home too.

The jet lag is getting to me thanks to the twenty hour flight from Singapore and right now I'm as tired as hell and as perky and awake as I could possibly be thanks to the overdose of caffeine that helped me stay awake through all the training this morning.

But coming back feels really good (I'd say the repetition of that fact is proof enough of just how nice it is to be back). The new room with blank walls waiting to be covered with pictures and posters and drawings by the five year old cousin. The reunion with AT and DC (as they're the only ones who've arrived thus far) complete with hindi movie like running down the corridors, getting the number five for dinner at Mc Donalds, discovering new detours and ways to get around the construction going on and the changes that have been made on campus, and seeing a bunch of familiar faces dragging in suitcases and boxes or scurrying about every time i step out.
It got me thinking about what exactly defines 'home' to many of us. Before I got back on campus yesterday, I would've insisted that home is well, back home obviously. But now, I'm wondering whether the twelve by whatever room that I share with A is also home. Maybe not the homiest home but a very definite close second I guess. And if I was put on the spot, I wouldn't know which home is 'better'. The homiest home (also known as my first home/Sri Lanka) or home, right this instant which is right here.

p.s. - I apologize for the wonky, somewhat cluttered and very random post but as T claimed, sometimes getting back to blogging takes a while and after three months of almost no blogging what so ever, I seem to have forgotten how to write.

1 comment:

Dili said...

Home is simply whee the heart is my dear :)