I’ve found a job. Or almost found one at least. This is good news because I desperately want a job as watching TV (and only that) everyday tends to get a little tiring, even for a hardcore TV addict such as myself and because I could definitely use the experience, and the money. Not to mention how it’ll help my resume look so much better. And yes, I’ve finally begun to worry about making my resume look good because I realized the other day (while sprucing it up and cutting and chopping it in order to make it presentable when beginning on the search for the aforementioned (almost) job) that I can no longer use the very full one that I used when I found my last job (right out of school) or applied for various programmes and scholarships of sorts. I’m no longer in school or just out of school but a sophomore in college (cough cough) and so my resume is empty (almost) again because Interact projects that made sense a few years ago look somewhat childish and out of place in the adult world I seem to belong to (at least the adult job market) and so I do need to get some internships and kick some ass again. As the saying goes, I’m no longer the big fish in a little pond. So yes, I’ve almost found the job. The good thing (or the bad I guess) about looking for a job in Sri Lanka is that it’s all about connections and so I’ve been harassing the man of the house, daddy dearest to drop a good word for me to all his PR friends (PR being a field I’m somewhat interested in). My first choice was Leo Burnett and it wasn’t just because of their super awesome website either but also because they were a multinational company. Naturally I didn’t get it because they don’t do interns or internships and while the former is a relief, the latter left me job less and with no aspirations (internship wise) at the beginning of the week (obviously because I assumed that I’d get the job). So after a few days or calls and meeting PR people, I’ve come down to two options. Both of which aren’t exactly confirmed hence the ‘almost’ status of the job. One is in PR and the other involves a TV station and news (because Broadcast Journalism is yet another field of interest). I’m keeping my fingers crossed at the moment because neither job’s been guaranteed and also because I can’t decide which job I want to take on.
PR is the natural choice because that’s my first choice of occupation (at the moment) but I’ve always thought broadcast journalism was one of those things that I’d do, if I could only do it in peace in Colombo and with the current status within the country and the media, and the report I did on journalists facing violence last year, journalism (broadcast and print) have been pushed right to the furthest corner of my mind because of obvious reasons. You can think I’m a coward but I’m a strong believer of the freedom of the press and at the moment that doesn’t happen all that much. And plus there’s the fact that I have three potential employers if I do go into broadcast journalism and nothing puts a damper on a career than knowing that you can work for MTV, ETV or ART once I embark in it to conquer my dreams. But an internship would still be amazing and one I’d love to do, even though a PR internship is more practical, so hence my dilemma about picking the right internship (mind you, neither internship is in the bag so to speak as neither is confirmed). There’s a good probability that I’ll ponder on this for a long, long while and after a few hours tossing and turning, I’ll finally decide on what I should do in the wee hours of the morning only to find out that I can’t get either one. I might just end up having to ask Ding for a favour and see if I can find a job in print journalism considering how successful I’ve been so far in finding a job on my own.
Hallelujah!! I have one. I finished typing the last bit and contemplated whether to restart the modem when a call comes through and now the job’s sorted. PR it is and I start next week. I’m meeting the PR manager Monday and I was told I can start immediately afterwards. While this is good news despite the fact that this means I actually need to get up before ten, I’m now facing a bigger problem of what I ought to wear. My first (and only) job didn’t require a dress code and I don’t own anything smart or businessy except one suit which I never wear and a couple of nice shirts. Guess who’ll be ransacking Colombo for black pants and shirts this weekend. Sigh, I like any (well most) other female love to shop but not when I have to look for something in particular. Hopefully the extra pounds will mean that I can find shirts that won’t make me look like I’ve come to work in his shirt after spending the night with a man.
3 comments:
"...find shirts that won’t make me look like I’ve come to work in his shirt after spending the night with a man."
LOL well it would be easier even if its not better :)
Congrats Ms. Doe, Im sure you'll knock their socks off. :)
It definitely would be easier but I must think about my ice queen (I hate men) reputation no...
And thanks... it's gone ok so far... I seem to not know much so I doubt I've knocked any socks of though.. I stubbed my toe twice though because I have a knack for walking into chairs.
For some reason your reply keeps reminding me of Catherine Tramell (Sharon Stone) in Basic Instinct :S
Post a Comment