Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sri Lankanism - eka

Reading ding's post about Sri Lankan food got me thinking about other things Sri Lankan. Maybe no the traditionally Sri Lankan things but just random stuff that I associate with Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka alone... well, at least one thing in particular at least for the time being...

I went out tonight (and yes I got back darn early but it was a play and a short one at that and I have work tomorrow) and was driving back and there's this one stretch of road that will always be a part of my last few years home. During regular trafficky or even not so trafficky hours, the drive down that bit takes about ten minutes (the last ten minutes home actually) but after about ten o'clock, when J the driver speeds to the maximum, it takes us about five minutes or there abouts and to me, that road is one instance or do I mean memory or symbol of being in Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka alone. It's that moment when I'm heading home after a party or a play or dinner and nine times out of ten, it's just me in the back seat (J driving obviously), with tnl playing whatever it's playing at that time of the night, my phone on the seat beside me (I sit behind the driver's seat) and my feet tucked under... Some are pleasant some not so much, some angry and a few even sad... the different memories and emotions I've experienced down that stretch of road are numerous... But as I was coming through that stretch tonight, the speedometer going way over 56, it just struck how Sri Lankan that particular moment (s) is for me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it 50 now? and 72 out station.