If I don't want to jump up and down in joy because the war is finally over?
Or supposedly over as I've begun to claim, every time some acquaintance asked me what I thought of the situation at home in the past couple of days.
I'm not ready to completely believe that everything is fine and dandy like every other Sri Lankan I know on facebook is and I don't really think claiming that we're free after 25 years is fair. We're not. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but I'd rather do that than assume that suddenly everything's going to be perfect and forget everyone who's lives have been torn beyond repair in the past three months. I really can't decide whether all the human loss that was caused because of the war is really worth this victory.
And what sucks is that people really haven't learned anything from this war. Yes they have a flag on their profile picture and talk of a free Sri Lanka but it's the same people who won't hesitate to shun someone because of their ethnicity or religion. Maybe I've become a judgmental cynic when it comes to believing that people can change for the better but I really don't know if the end of the war will make life better for someone who's Tamil.
A friend's facebook status claims that 'today, history was made' but was it really? It's a little like slavery don't you think? Even though the 13th amendment was added in 1865, it wasn't until the '60s that Civil Rights laws were passed. So what kind of history did we really make, and can it really be called freedom?
I Want To Be A Nationalist
7 years ago
1 comment:
Good post, there are many who are skeptical, with good reason.
We need to see where we go next and there are many other problems to be resolved, all lie forgotten at the moment.
We also need to try and restore some semblance of democracy.
Post a Comment