So earlier today, the floor mates and I were looking up youtube videos and came across a whole bunch that were mixes of the top 20 songs (based off billboard ratings etc) for each year and we listened/watched most of them from the late nineties and early millennium.
I was struck by how strange it is how we have (at least I have) different memories (sometimes many, sometimes just one) attached to each of those songs, even if it's just remembering how an old friend S (not the S I visited in London but a different one) loved to dance to Snoop Dog's "Drop it like it's hot" or how we all danced our hearts out to "Dilemma" that time yet another S (I have a lot of friends who's names begin with S apparently) produced a CD and threw a party or how another friend N used to be a hard core Britney Spears fan right after she first exploded onto the music scene (even though she would most likely die before admitting this fact now) or how nangi and I used to love singing along to the remix version of "J-Lo", "J to tha L-O" or how "Iris" used to be my absolute favorite song and how another old friend M and I had an intense discussion about how awesome that song was or how the ex grudgingly admitted I did have pretty decent taste in music when he heard one of the CD's I put together with a whole lot of things including "Iris" or how C and I loved to dance to "Naughty Boy" and how it used to play all the time back in the day when I/we were popular and got lots of invites to parties or how my cousin D loved Avril Lavigne when she first came out or the first time I heard and fell in love with "Angel" by Sarah MacLachlan and cried my heart out after watching "City of Angels" or the time C's sister (yet another S) used to be a big fan of Beyonce or how the music show that used to air at 6 everyday on TNL would always play "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia and "Frozen" by Madonna etc etc etc...
I could go on and I'm pretty sure that if I tried (not too hard, but just a little) I could come up with a memory attached pretty much to all the artists/songs we saw today. I'm not a hardcore music fan so I find this really strange.
p.s. - I feel very witty now because I just made up the title for my post. And since I'm listening to the top 20 songs of 2005, I guess I'll remember this post whenever I hear one of those songs ;)
I Want To Be A Nationalist
7 years ago
2 comments:
ok when two things:
1. when were you and C popular and invited to lots of parties???
2. C's sister S still likes beyonce. in fact, she wants to be her.
I like to think we were relatively popular. Say compared to now. ;)
Post a Comment