Went to watch the Vagina Monologues today. I was somewhat apprehensive about going because I wasn't sure whether I'd have a positive reaction to it. I was told that it was kinda funny, kinda sad and very empowering for women. Didn't know what to expect because experience (during the past few months) has taught me that I should never decide about anything unless I experience it myself.
It was my room-mate to be (RMTB) and DC who was partially forced/ manipulated into going by us against his will (we knew it would be a good experience for him) and I. We got there, made out donations (since the event was theoretically free) and found some decent seats. The show started, and I have to say I was BLOWN AWAY!!!
The actresses were great, the script was funny and sad and true. It was as if there were a bunch of people. telling the story of my life (or my vagina) and it felt so good to be reassured that I wasn't alone, that half the planet feels just the way I do about many private things, things we don't talk about all that much; the annoying monthly period, the firsts, sex, pleasure and the vagina. I have to admit it wasn't all smooth sailing, the moaning kinda made all three of us uncomfortable but it was good.
I felt empowered. I felt that I'm a woman and that I'm who I am because I'm a woman and because of everything that a woman goes through and remembered that I love being who and what I am and wouldn't change myself for anything.
One phrase in particular struck me a lot. It was the monologue about short skirts; she was explaining how her wearing a short skirt had nothing to do with her wanting it or showing of or men. It was something she did for herself and herself alone. Because, it's her body she said. It's her body and her vagina. It felt good to hear someone say that, specially since of late when I've forgotten that the most important person in my life is myself. Call me selfish but that's how I feel, have always felt and intend to feel in future. That's just me.... N it's who I am...
I Want To Be A Nationalist
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment