Wednesday, December 10, 2008

aaaaaaaaargh!!!

...the realization that I'm going to fall always dawns micro seconds before the actual falling occurs. I totter and make a lame attempt at balancing myself by leaning backwards and making a weird flying motion with my hands (that does NOT work). He puts his arm out and grabs me and we both do an almost semi circle and then come to halt.

"Sorry. Sorry I keep falling" I say, hanging on for dear life (too afraid to let go because I know I'm going to fall). "It's fine," he assures me, "Are you ok?" I nod and then let go, slowly regaining my balance. Ok I can do this. I can totally do this. "Eyes on the prize J, you can do this," he says, holding out his hand for me. Slowly and cautiously we (and by that I mean I) make another attempt to start moving. "Why are my legs moving so far apart? that's what always makes me uncomfortable!" I grumble (I'm not the easiest of students. Far from it actually) "Crap I'm pushing again. I don't know about this." "J you're doing fine, just relax and glide, you can do it" he says, the words of encouragement (clearly not true because I'm still clumsily prodding on, no sign of gliding or coming even close to gliding and looking graceful in sight)are much appreciated and necessary to heal my wounded pride. I have issues with not being good at something on the first go (one of the many things I need to work on at some point in life).

"See... see... you're getting good, you've almost got it. You're doing it." he says, and I realize that maybe I am getting the hang of this whole thing. Hesitantly,I let go of his hand, I need to do this on my own. "Come on J, you can do it" A (who's standing four feet away from me) looks at me encouragingly, stretching her arms out (reminds me of nangi and I trying to get our kid cousins to walk actually).

I can do this. I can so do this. I'm gliding. I'm doing it. Gliding. aaaaaaaaargh!!!


and then we start all over again!


sigh. I love ice-skating.

No comments: