Remember how I work at a desk? If you don't, well I do. It's very devil-wears-prada-esq in the sense that I'm tied to my desk. All the time. And peeing isn't a luxury I can afford. So I usually stop drinking water two hours or so before I start the night shifts because when I did my very first night shift ( a mere four months ago), I felt a desperate need to pee one hour into the four hour shift. Boy was that not fun. Since then, I've learned to hold my pee in (or improved vastly on it at least since the suggestions of peeing in a can didn't sound too appealing) and reduced my consumption of water.
Moving on to more interesting topics however, one of the perks (even though calling it a perk is a definite stretch) of the job is that I get to meet and converse with the most random people like the girl who just had a conversation with me about her butt muscle falling asleep and needing to do exercises to stretch it. Butt exercises aren't one the many skills mastered by us desk people so I couldn't really help her out there. I did however advice her to bs the rest of her 2500 paper and give her butt a break. I figured my genetically inherited knowledge on medicine was sufficient to reach that conclusion.
Another perk (and in my book this one could really be a perk) is the celebrity status (fine. I might be exaggerating slightly. Just a tad bit maybe) that comes with being seen by so many people entering the building (it's a residence hall so people are always coming in and out). Like the other day, once I was back at the desk after the embarrassing evening on the skating rink, this guy comes up to me and asks me whether I had fun. He had seen me, almost falling on my ass and clutching on for dear life to J and A and the railing and pretty much anything I could reach. Ok so maybe the whole celebrity deal isn't so much a perk but whatever. I need to tell myself something every time I drag my ass down here to sit and pretend to be nice to people.
Which is another thing about the job -- I'm getting so much better at being chirpy and interested in everyone's life. I give advice and smile and even say Hi and thank you on the good days. They're lucky if they don't need any help on the bad days but I like to think I make up for it by being super nice (ha ha) when I'm nice.
It is actually very ridiculous. Not kind of.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment