So last week our floor participated in a community service project of sorts. When I say our floor, I mean seven of us who were crazy enough to assume that an event that lasted all night was no biggie, considering that fact that it was at the end of the semester and there's way too much work to be done.
What bugged me about it, was the girl (who will be referred to as M) who was our supposed captain (of the team because we had to participate in teams) and her complete lack of responsibility. First it was the fact that she didn't assign the stuff that had to be done. She kept mentioning at random moments that we should decorate "our space" but never once suggested getting together in the lounge or even mentioned probable dates. Thanks to Interact (yes I do actually have to thank Interact for these skills), I know enough to know that no one will get anything done unless they are told to. That's just how it works. So finally (when it was the day of the actual event mind you) I decided to draw a few pictures with a fellow floor mate and started decor for "our space". Within a couple of hours, at least a dozen people were in the lounge, drawing, coloring and cutting as if their lives depended on it (I guess it did because I have to admit the bossy side to me got the better of me right then because there was no way I was letting go of my help). All that was necessary was a simple invite (everyone who walked into the lounge was asked if they would like to help out and they were all more than happy to) and it bugged me that M couldn't be bothered to make any effort. She walked in a few times when we were working, commented on "how sweet" it looked, dumped a handful of construction sheets and left for dinner with her boyfriend. Naturally, several hours of bitching followed before we finally finished our decorations (which were really amazingly pretty) and we left for the event, where we were greeted by M who shrugged and said, "I have no idea where you'll are going to hang all of this!". If you're thinking "BITCH!!!" you're thinking right. She put me to shame at that instance and I can be pretty bitchy. So we ignored her, decked our space (we had the best space) and eventually the even began.
Not a big deal (she forgot to delegate the decor) and I'm just being fussy you'll say, but you're wrong because there's more. An hour into the event, her boy friend (who decided to take a nap when we were getting ready to leave) finally showed up, in the Captain's shirt too (The nerve) and he spent a whole hour chatting with a bunch of girls, another three hours playing risk and then about twenty minutes taking part in the actual program before heading out. I realize that she's not directly responsible for his behavior but even if you forget the fact that it's her boyfriend, he's technically in the team and it was her job (as team captain) to make sure that he did what he was supposed to (and trust me that didn't involve icing and napping and eating our food because he got hungry after playing risk). Of course I'm mad and angry. We slaved away the whole day and he saunters in, LATE and gets away with doing nothing just because he's dating her... WTF!?!?! And she let him do it...
The las incident happened towards the end of the night, there was a competition where one of the guys from each team was supposed to dress up in drag for a contest. At that point, JF and I were the only ones left (as it was close to the wee hours of the morning) and he wasn't planning on taking part because we hadn't prepared for it and he didn't want to. So dead tired after a loooong night, we were taking a break from the regular activities of the event and waiting for the contest to begin when M decided to join us and inquire, oh so politely, why no one from our team (the one she didn't seem to give a fuck about) was participating. For me, that was pretty much it. I was dirty, tired and had been up for almost twenty hours straight and had lost all feeling below my knees. I told her something along the lines of how her absent, supposed team captain boyfriend would be the best candidate to take part as he seemed to have spent the whole night off his feet unlike the rest of us. She stopped talking to us after that.
On a more pleasanter note, I learnt the dance for "Cotton eyed Joe" and am mighty proud of mastering the steps despite my lack of control over my motor skills.
I Want To Be A Nationalist
7 years ago
1 comment:
Heh... a mix of everything.. That was fun to read..:d
Post a Comment