Sunday, April 20, 2008

what I miss....

I was reading Gutter flower's post on Colombo and I suddenly missed home... Just like that... I don't get home sick that much (call me a horrible person but I don't). I like being on my own and I like what I do and I like the freedom I have here that I can't have at home... But every now and then, it happens.... last week it was because of the new year... and then this week... I had an awesome weekend and then today it struck me that I do miss home.. sometime material things, sometimes people, sometimes just the things that I do at home...

I miss lying on my parents bed with nangi, the fan on full blast, eating ice cream or french fries or both, watching random crap on TV

I miss heading over to C's... walking over to her house and letting myself in and just killing time... not doing anything in particular...

I miss going to odel at random times with S and C and trying on tons of clothes before selecting one or two that I actually end up buying... we always use the changing room in the sportswear section and we always take in waaaaaaay more clothes than we're allowed to...

I miss hanging out at S's... sitting on the swing and eating something delicious and listening to music and belting out our favorite songs...

I miss the long random conversations that nangi and I have... about life and our family and our dreams and futures...

I miss having someone to tell me whether or not I look good in something... nangi always does that...

I miss yellow rice, chicken curry and dhal... the regular on every Sunday afternoon... We always have it, without fail and it's one of those things you look forward to...

I miss going to the second hand book shops in Maradana and coming home with a stack of books and reading non stop for several hours, blissfully unaware of the world outside the pages of my book...


The funny thing is that I wouldn't trade my life here to be at home instead... I can't wait to go home for the summer.. But after a while, I'm going to miss my life... typing that and thinking that feels odd... less than an year ago, my life was at home... I didn't know the people I share my life with and live with and eat with... I didn't know the room I live in, the safeway and the cvs that I constantly run to... I didn't know the country or city I'm living in but now it's home... I couldn't imagine any other life... I like being a college student and I like being on my own... It's my chance to find my self and work on what I want for life... I like not having to worry about random things except not getting my papers done on time... I like having friends who live a couple of doors down so I can go knock on their doors whenever I need people... I like knowing that I can walk into the lounge and finding lots of people in their.. I like staying up till three in the morning watching movies or playing apple to apples or simply bitching about the people we don't like... I like lying in the amphi theater, staring up at the sky and trees, it's so peaceful and serene and talking about random things with JF...

It's funny... I love my life here...but every now and then... I miss home.. just a little bit..

15 comments:

T said...

that's how i feel to a T. i couldn't have said it better myself.

Jane Doe said...

thank you... coming from you, t'is indeed very flattering... :)
And I'm going home soon... yay!!

T said...

omg i just figured out who you are!! hahaha

Jane Doe said...

I assumed it was only a matter of time before you did... :) I know who you are... ironic as it sounds, it was your "what I miss" post that got me thinking it was you...
n ya... so see... I am keeping in touch with you... just not on facebook :p

T said...

lol ok ok, obviously im not as anonymous as id like to be. it was S's swing that turned me onto you. lol. see you in the summer!

Jane Doe said...

I'm generally very careful... sigh... so much for being anonymous... That's two whole people who know who I am.. and three people that I know... :)
Ya... see you in the summer... :)

Gutterflower said...

I'm sorry for bringing on the home sickness. :)

Oh and I know who you are as well! Yes, it was S*b***'s swing which kinda blew your cover.

And I think I can take a stab at T as well.
:) :) :)

Err.. Neither of your'll know me right?

Jane Doe said...

Of course I know you... A :D
Sorry... I can't remember what gave you away though... might have been everything in general... Sounded like you... :)

T said...

damn it, thats another one!! JD, WHO is gutterflower?? im guessing we all went to the same school yes?

Jane Doe said...

My lips are sealed... sorry... :) you can take try guessing though... But somehow I don't think you'll figure out who she is...

T said...

i found out!! but i'll just ask her on fb in any case. lol

Gutterflower said...

Haha. This is like a bizarre reunion of sorts!
T, I think I can safely assume that you don't know me all that well. And JD's right, I don't think you'll figure it out either.

:):)

Jane Doe said...

She did... she told me who she though you were and she was right... sorry Gutter... I tried... really...

Gutterflower said...

Right, I didn't see that one coming! How'd you guess btw? Just curious. :)

Jane Doe said...

I can't remember... I just figured it was you but I wasn't sure... It was partially the way Ding sounded really familiar with what you wrote ya? cos he used to do that when I first started to blog so it made sense that it was someone he knew and then I just connected dots :)
Maybe I'm just good at this sorta thing... maybe... and plus you blogged very occasionally about stuff that nangi told me about.. like the post on funerals... She had just told me that M's dad passed away when you wrote about it..