It's the first time in my whole existence ( of almost 21 years) that I'm not with achchi celebrating the new year... It's strange.... I didn't strike me until I got in bed and opened my laptop for my before bed blog stalk.
I hope the folks at home feel sorry for me and send me kavum and kokis and dodol. I can't imagine not eating that and achchi's mung kiribath (which is AMAZINGLY GOOD)...
Right now, I kinda wish I was home. Just so I can go to achchi's and get presents and help her light the fire to cook and have seeya feed me the very first bite of the new year (I think this will be the first year that he hasn't since I started eating solid foods), and riding the home made swing and all the good things we do for avurudu.
I now belong to the list of kids and grandkids she sighs over and (I know) she thinks about whenever her eyes mist up and she gazes into the distance, unaware of what's going on around her. It's as if she's trying to see how they are, and if they've eaten right and are doing ok and wishing she could cook and feed them one more time. I've seen that look a million times, especially during this time of the year which has always been extra special for us.
I wonder who'll set the table now. U nandi did unti; she migrated and then I took over.... Nangi will do it this year most probably, but what happens the year after? There won't be any girls left behind to set the table for her or pick out the flowers to put around the pahana. It's odd that I'm so far away and disconnected from even the time zone they're in now. Would anyone care to tell me when exactly the new year is??? Maybe a surprise phone call will help cheer achchi up.
I Want To Be A Nationalist
7 years ago
2 comments:
Well New Year comes @ 6.29PM SL time on the 13th which is about 3 hours away when im typing this. Lighting the hearth is at 6.54. Sorry if this was way too late and I hope you've already found out and planned accordingly
It must be so hard being away. But they'll be thinking of you..
sigh. i miss my ach and her stellar kiri bath and seeni sambol.
Post a Comment